Film Review: Jane Eyre (2011)

There have been many adaptations of this novel, first written by Charlotte Bronte.

Until now, I have only seen two. And of those two, the first I saw only the beginning episode and part of the end ones (it was a mini series) and of the second, only the very end.

So, I was very excited to see this most recent adaptation, as I have already seen both Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender in other films before and I was intrigued as to how the director, Cary Fukunaga would show the story.

I am pleased to say, in all aspects of this beautifully made film, I was not in any way disappointed. Miss Wasikowska gives a very moving, yet subtle portrayal of Jane Eyre. Although she is very abrupt in her manner, you still feel for her, not just because of her loveless childhood.

Mr Fassbender, who portrays Mr Rochester, by contrast, is not subtle in his portrayal, but at the same time, he does not overdo the brashness that characterises his character, that you might see in other adaptations.

Mr Fukunaga, his direction is seamless, from close up scenes with dialogue, to sweeping scenes that show the landscape in which all the characters find themselves. To aid and match the scenes, one of my favourite composers, Dario Marianelli has written an absolutely brilliant score to showcase the feelings that are not otherwise expressed in words and facial expressions. His score, like the others he has composed for films like Atonement, V for Vendetta, I Capture the Castle and Pride and Prejudice (2005), raises the films to a whole other level of wonderment and magic.

Judi Dench, an utter legend of the world of theatre, television and film, has a small supporting role in this film but shines throughout, as Jane Eyre's confidant and housekeeper of the household. Jamie Bell is to be congratulated, making the sometimes fraught with danger, move, from child actor to mature dramatic actor. Like Judi Dench, his role is small, but he makes his presence in the film felt, but like Miss Wasikowska, he keeps his portrayal subtle.

Comments

  1. This first quote is from another period film:
    "Tom Lefroy: Good God. There's writing on both sides of those pages."

    The second is from a film, with a love story intertwined into the action.
    "[Keeping beat for a dance lesson] Chaucer: And one and two and three and four and your hands should be light like a birdie on a branch. And one and two and three and four and Wat doesn't lead he follows like a girl.
    [Wat punches him. Scene changes, and Chaucer now has a tissue stuck up one nostril]
    Chaucer: And one and two and twirlie twirlie twirlie! And one and two and you're still getting it wrong! And one and two and three and four you can hit me all day cause you punch like a... what?
    Roland: A girl!"

    And the third, is from one of the films that Mr Marianelli has composed:
    "Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Moneyball

Film Review: Theater Camp

TV series reviews: The Bear & The Newsreader