Movies that are based on books

There are a lot of these, probably more than you would think.

Legally Blonde, is based on a book. And I found that out, only today!

But there is usually a problem, when books are made into movies, especially for the hard core readers (of whom I am one) who look forward to the film's release and their first viewing with feverish excitement, which at times, creates a veneer, helped along plenty by the hype, the trailers, interviews, set pictures etc. Or the person's passion for the book, or the author.

So when, during the first viewing, when the film might dip in the quality, this same veneer protects the viewer and gives them some rose coloured glasses, to make things easier, and lets them enjoy their first viewing in peace.
On subsequent viewings, this veneer can start to crack and the dips in quality that I spoke of earlier, are more visible with each new viewing.

And I can speak from experience on this one.

For example. The Twilight series. The veneer was especially thick here. And I know I will have Twilight mad fans hating me for this, but the first movie had some painful parts, that the veneer helped immensely to cover up.
I love Twilight, don't get me wrong, but at times, you had the feeling that the actors would have glanced at the director, reconsidering their fees for saying the lines in the film.

Of course, the vast majority of films that are based on books, for example Holes, the movies based on John Grisham novels, An Education, About a Boy, etc, even though the veneer is still there, the film is still of high quality and after repeated viewings, just makes the viewing itself, very enjoyable.

Comments

  1. Yes, another quote from a film, or tv show, that you can either guess, or just think about in your spare time. Its an easy one, as the title is actually in the quote itself.
    “Prime Minister: Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinions starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Moneyball

Film Review: Theater Camp

TV series reviews: The Bear & The Newsreader